"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him. Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior's hand. How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them." Psalm 127:3-5

Friday, July 9, 2010

Paper Boy for a Day

With Logan gone to summer camp this week, I got the fun job of taking over his paper route. With the help of my sister, I played the role of paper boy for a day and I realized just how grateful I am for Logan's job. Logan has always been a hard worker and has been wanting a job for several years, so when this paper route became available a year ago, he jumped at the chance to earn some money. Not only can he finance his many sports and activities because of this job (a huge plus because he has some expensive hobbies), but it also gives me the opportunity to teach him about financial responsibility, budgeting, saving, and giving.
I do not believe in giving an allowance for chores. I believe that work should be done around the house simply because it needs done and everyone should participate and contribute. And we could never afford to give the kids a spending allowance, which is a good way to teach children about money. Therefore, this job is a big blessing. Since the beginning of this job, Logan has generously given and faithfully saved (saving for a car and for his future). However, the budgeting and impulse buying really needed some work. That paycheck burned a hole in his pocket every month. He has learned a few of his lessons the hard way, by either doing without something he wants or having to wait because he ran out of money, or by wasting money on something he didn't truly need or want. However, he has worked on this and has improved greatly. Together, we established a budget using the envelope system, along with a log to keep track of all of his money. I love seeing my children "get it" at such a young age. Carmen also has developed her own envelop system of managing money. She started sponsoring a child through World Vision a few years ago (without having a job) and because of that commitment, has had to be very careful about her money. I still have much to teach Gabe, who still thinks that money in his wallet automatically means a trip to the toy store. But it is a process.
When I was just out of college I met a mother of six who had the most respectful and responsible children I had ever met. She told me that she was raising them to be capable because she might not always be there. She wanted them to be able to succeed without her. I have also tried to raise my children the same way, with the mindset of teaching them to become capable and responsible adults. They have learned at an early age how to do their own laundry, take care of a baby, cook and clean, take responsiblity for their own decisions, serve their family and community, be helpful, courteous and grateful. Money management is just another step in the process of raising them to become productive, capable, and responsible citizens, parents, and spouses. Not every lesson sinks in right away for every child. No matter how hard I tried to teach our oldest about money, he just didn't listen. Each of my children have their own struggles as I try to guide them into adulthood. Carmen really struggles with cleaning. Logan struggles with picking up after himself. Gabe struggles with being independent. We can only try to teach, we can't make them learn. And it is a process.

So as I played paper boy this week, I gained a greater appreciation for hard work and for Logan's job. And as annoying as it is to drive Logan around on this paper route each week (especially during a snow storm or during collection week), I will forever be thankful for this learning opportinuty that has positively impacted his life.


Some links about Kids and Money


http://www.christianity.com/11574509/


http://www.crown.org/Library/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=342


http://www.crown.org/Library/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=343



No comments: