"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him. Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior's hand. How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them." Psalm 127:3-5

Friday, May 4, 2012

A Little Nervous

I am having hernia surgery on Monday. I admit that I am a little nervous. The only other surgery that I ever had was a hernia surgery when I was around 3 years old and it was a rather traumatic experience for me. I remember screaming....a lot. My mom didn't stay at the hospital with me adn I remember feeling very alone and afraid. And I remember having a lot of pain afterwards. A lot of pain. I am not really worried about "something happening" during this surgery. I guess I am more worried about pain. But as my daughter pointed out, I have already been in pain for years with this hernia. I guess the pain from surgery shouldn't be too much worse. And I will have some wonderful pain medication available to me. I am also a little nervous about some medical test results. I had to have an endometrial biopsy done yesterday and a dexa scan done today. All of this is a result of going through early menopause. I expect to get a clean bill of health, but I can't help to be a little nervous whenever the c word comes up. The biopsy is to test for endmetrial or uterine cancer. The dexa scan tests for osteoporosis. It's official. I am old before my time. Anyway, I am trying not to be stressed about these test results but I can't help but to worry a little. In the past five years I have had more medical tests and issues than I can count. I have had several ct scans (4 or 5...maybe more), two mammograms complete with a breast cancer scare and more scans with each one, several ultrasounds (not related to pregnancy), an endoscopy, a colonoscopy, a rare complication to fifth disease that caused severe swelling in my entire body, a serious elbow injury that caused significant swelling, severe whiplash, a back injury requiring steriod injections in my back, heart issues, a broken tailbone (thanks to childbirth), a fall injuring my foot, hand, wrist, and back, a food allergy, anemia (again), and a hernia. This doesn't include all of the minor injuries I receive on a regular basis (I have inherited my mother's grace). I am sure I am forgetting something else but like I said it is more than I can count. All I can say is Thank You Lord for medical coverage. I am seriously hoping that this hernia surgery will be the last time I need to see a doctor for a long while.

No comments: