"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him. Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior's hand. How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them." Psalm 127:3-5

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Being Grateful

I have become aware of how much I have been complaining lately. I have told my children countless times that gratefulness cannot exist at the same time as ungratefulness. I cannot be truly grateful while I am complaining. And God has blessed me so greatly. Not only that but he calls me to have a thankful heart... a grateful spirit. Instead of complaining about gas prices or traffic, I want to be grateful that I have a working vehicle. Instead of complaining about housework, I want to be grateful that I have a house and more stuff than I could ever need. Instead of complaining about having to cook (not my favorite responsibility) I want to be grateful that I have food to eat. Why have I given in to complaining and ungratefulness? Two of my children are about to see first hand what it is like to have nothing. When they travel to Malawi for their mission trip they will encounter children who have nothing more than the clothes on their back, who are so grateful for food that they would never consider complaining that it is nothing more than a boiled egg or a pasty corn meal mixture. Don't get me wrong. I am not supposed to feel guilty for having what I have when others have so little. God is the one who called me to this position in life. But I do need to be grateful and stop complaining. Please hold me accountable.

No comments: