"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him. Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior's hand. How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them." Psalm 127:3-5

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Practicing What I Preach

Looking back at my last post about taking control of my thoughts, I have been given a huge opportunity to practice what I preach. As I type this, my teenagers and sister are missing somewhere in Africa. They got on a bus in Lilongwe, Malawi at ~6am (their time) and they were supposed to be met at the bus in Harare, Zimbabwe at ~6-8pm (their time) by Pastor Herman and his family, friends of ours who live in Zimbabwe. But when Pastor Herman got to the bus station they were not there. He went to several bus stations and not only could he not find them, but he could not find the bus line that they traveled on. At one of the stations he was told that their bus may have gone to South Africa but that is not certain. Jennie bought a cell phone in Malawi but no one can get ahold of her on it. It is the middle of the night in Africa right now. We have no idea where they are or what happened. The bus company is closed on Sundays so we cannot call them until Monday. If I let my mind wander, I can think of a thousand different things that may have happened, most of them bad. But I am taking control of my thoughts and trusting God. (Oh, this is hard!) Perhaps the bus broke down. Perhaps they did end up in another city. I will not let my mind wander to any other "perhaps" situations. Trusting God is so much easier when all is well and all is known. It is so much harder when you have no idea where your children are and if they are ok. Especially when they are on the other side of the world. Prayers appreciated. Update: They have been located. Their bus had run 6 hrs late and they ended up in a hotel. I feel stupid for worrying. Thank you Lord.

No comments: