"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him. Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior's hand. How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them." Psalm 127:3-5

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mindset of a Slave

I am not sure where I read this, but I remember reading about the Isrealites after they were set free from slavery in Egypt. According to this author's interpretation, the reason the Isrealites had to wonder around in the dessert for 40 years was because they of their mindset. They were raised as slaves for generations. They thought like slaves, worked like slaves, and acted like slaves. They could not grasp the reality of their freedom. They simply couldn't think like free people. Even though they were no longer slaves, they were still enslaved in their mind and heart. It wasn't until after that generation died off before the Isrealites thought of themselves as free, capable, and chosen. A generation that grew up in freedom in the dessert. They weren't trapped in a mindset of slavery. They were truly free.

How often I find myself trapped in a mindset of slavery even though I have been set free. Although these are not chains in a physical sense, they still try to hold me in captivity all the same. These chains are have different names.... fear, unforgiveness, poverty, sin, pride, shame. Like the Isrealites, sometimes I cannot think like a free woman. The shackles on my hands and feet have been opened. Yet sometimes I still allow them to keep me bound. I am tired of living as a slave. The Lord has set me free! Change my mindset, O Lord!

No comments: